With our spring like temps our trails took a beating. We will have a few more days of warm weather and then back to temps in the 20’s with some snow. Friday it looks like we will have winter back again with 3-5 inches of snow and winds gust to over 40mph. Hopefully we will get enough snow to repair our trails. We will keep you updated.
Gogebic Range Trail Authority
GRTA reports- overall conditions are poor.
Our trails were last groomed on the 15th. We have lots of bare spots and water.
Trail 2 from Hurley to Ramsay Crossing is fair.
Trail 2 from Ramsay Crossing to Wakefield is poor.
Trail 2 from Wakefield to Marensico is fair.
Trail 8 from Bingo’s to Tula Crossing is good.
Trail 160 from Walmart to Montreal River (WI)
Overall Rating: Scheduled bridge completion is 2/15, this is an active construction site please say out! We need immediate help brushing and signing this trail. We cannot groom it without DNR signing/brushing approval so it is a critical task to get this completed. We need people during the week and the weekend. Please contact us (email@example.com or facebook us)so we can include you on the planning conversation(email).
Trail 11 N & 11S are closed.
The Gogebic Area Grooming trail report–
February 19th, 2017 -overall conditions are fair.
Unfortunately, the weather report is looking very bleak at this point with highs reaching into the 50’s Monday & Tuesday with a chance of rain. However, temps return to more normal levels by the end of this week with reports coming in of a possible snow storm! I have seen it turn around in the past after these kinds of warm ups, so there’s still hope. If you are still planning on riding the trails watch out for icy conditions, especially on corners. Also, watch out for those darn water holes we’ve been fighting with all winter that will have probably opened back up again. Conditions are too warm to even get a groomer out on the trails at night for the next few days so I’m pretty much just going on what snowmobilers are telling me. Obviously, there will be more snow on our trails that run back through the woods where the shade coverage will prevent too much melt off. Otherwise look for some bare conditions on corners and near road ways, where salt gets pulled onto the trails. Please stay away from streams, creeks and swampy areas as they will not be safe.
If you still plan on coming up contact a Forest Service office in the area for maps to all UNPLOWED, only, Forest Service roads that you can ride. There is an office in Watersmeet, between Ironwood & Bessemer and also in Ontonagon.
Posted by Carolyn at the Hoop
As previously posted, please stay on the trails in Bergland. You are not allowed to ride the hwy. through town and may be ticketed.
U.P. THUNDER RIDERS OF WATERSMEET REPORT
Trails are going down hill fast, we have very warm temps causing bare spots. We made it through the last warm up so we should make it through this one. We’ll need more snow, hopefully that will come next weekend
Use caution as wet spots may appear
Trail 3 North to Bond Falls – fair/poor
Trail 3 south to WI – fair/poor
Trail 2 west of Watersmeet – fair/poor
Trail 2 east of Watersmeet – fair/poor
Trail #13 south – fair/poor
PLEASE STAY ON MARKED TRAILS RIDING ON UNMARKED TRAILS CAN RESULT IN THE CLUB LOSING EASEMENT OF THAT TRAIL AND YOU POSSIBLE GETTING A TICKET….
Latest Trail Reports – Quick Links
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 03/27
- Grand Marais Trail Report – Grand Marais Sno-Trails Assoc. – 03/27
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 03/25
- Seney Trail Report – Seney – 03/25
- Seney Trail Report – 03/23
- Grand Marais Trail Report – Grand Marais Sno-Trails Assoc. – 03/23
- Sault Ste. Marie Trail Report – 03/23
- Grand Marais Trail Report – Grand Marais Sno-Trails Assoc. – 03/22
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 03/22
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 03/21
- Grand Marais Trail Report – Grand Marais Sno-Trails Assoc. – 03/21
- Seney Trail Report – 03/20
- Frederic / Gaylord Area Trail Report – Sledheads of Frederic – 03/20
- Sault Ste. Marie Trail Report – 03/20
- Sault Ste. Marie Trail Report – 03/19
- Paradise Area Trail Report – Paradise Area Night Riders – 03/19
- Paradise Area Trail Report – Paradise Area Night Riders – 03/18
- Grand Marais Trail Report – Grand Marais Sno-Trails Assoc. – 03/17