Western U.P. Trail Report – Western U.P. Bureau – 02/22
Temps for the next few days will be in the 30″s with lows in the teens. Grooming is ongoing for all clubs weather permitting. Use caution on corners they may be icy. Make sure you ride on your side of the trail, we want everyone to be safe.
PLEASE STAY ON TRAILS. WE HAVE BEEN GETTING COMPLAINTS THAT SOME HAVE NOT BEEN STAYING ON TRAILS, RIDING ON UNMARKED TRAILS CAN LOSE EASEMENT FOR OUR TRAIL SYSTEM SO PLEASE STAY ON TRAILS!!!!!!
THE GOGEBIC RANGE TRAIL AUTHORITY REPORTS:
We need more snow, however trails are still rated as good. Trails are EXTREMELY ICY so please be careful.
Trail 2 from Hurley to Ramsay US-2 Crossing is good. West of Ramsay Crossing the snow is thin leaving the trail icy please use caution. As you depart Ironwood past Walmart, heading east, the horseshoe-turns around the Transfer Station are getting icy. Please ride to the right and ride cautiously.
The rail-bed trail ENDS on the east side of the Keystone Bridge. The club grooms the bridge to maintain it for local access. The “old” trail to Wakefield is closed east of Verona Road. Tickets will be issued if you ride on this closed trail.
Trail 2 from Ramsay Crossing to Wakefield is fair. Around Indianhead near Wakefield the trail is getting thin and icy so please use caution. There have been several near-miss accidents due to riders not riding on their side of the trail or blowing through icy corners. We need everyone to ride safely through there at a reasonable speed to keep everyone safe. The hill climbs to Indianhead Big Snow Resorts are snow packed and smooth.
Trail 2 from Wakefield to Marenisco is good. There is active construction 5 miles east of Wakefield use caution. Watch for icy corners from Wakefield to US HWY. 2 trail crossing. The rail bed section is in good condition, but it needs more passes to get the bumps out. This was groomed on the 20th.
Trail 8 from Bingo’s to Tula Crossing is good to very good. The trail has lots of snow on it and is a wide seasonal county road that is not plowed and makes for a fun trail ride.
Trail 160 from Walmart to Montreal River(WI) is good to very good. This is a very scenic trail with spectacular views. ENJOY!! There is logging near the Lake Road area, please slow down, remember logging trucks have the right of way.
Trail 11S is good to very good. The first 2 miles of the trail as it heads south towards Wisconsin from Trail 2 is plowed due to logging. Please yield to all commercial truck traffic. The trail is in great shape and is groomed from the Vilas County Wisconsin Line to Trail 2 completely, regularly. There are still a few thin areas and areas that need more brushing but the trail is fantastic.
LAKE GOGEBIC AREA GROOMER REPORT
Trail Conditions from the 15th.
Access corridor 1/8 is in good to very good condition
Trail 1 N is in very good condition
Trail 102 also in good very good condition.
Trail 13 N – Good in the a.m. – rough in the afternoon.
Trail 8 East – fair to good to Ewen; after that, it is in pretty rough shape.
13 S. to 100 all groomed this morning and in very good shape
Trail 1 to Presque Isle was also groomed early this morning – very good.
Trail 1 from Marenisco to West Shore will be groomed tonight and should be in very good shape.
Riders are being ticketed on M-28, as well as the railroad grade along the North Shore of Lake Gogebic. If it’s not a trail – don’t ride there.
U.P. THUNDER RIDERS OF WATERSMEET GROOMERS REPORT:
Trails are getting some fresh snow, groomers are running daily.
Trail 2 east of Watersmeet – to the 107 – good
Trail 3 south of Watersmeet to WI – good -this trail gets tons of traffic and it gets rough between groomings use caution over the bridges
Trail 3 north of trail 2 to bond falls – good with a few thin/icy spots and icy corners
Trail 3 north of Bond falls – good with icy corners
Trail 2 west of Watersmeet – good
Trail 13 south of trail 2 – good with icy corners
PLEASE STAY ON MARKED TRAILS. RIDING ON UNMARKED TRAILS CAN RESULT IN THE CLUB LOSING EASEMENT OF THAT TRAIL AND YOU POSSIBLE GETTING A TICKET…..
Latest Trail Reports – Quick Links
- Petoskey Area Trail Report – 04/12
- Sault Ste. Marie Trail Report – 04/11
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 03/28
- Sault Ste. Marie Trail Report – 03/27
- Ontonagon Trail Report – 03/21
- Newberry Trail Report – 03/20
- Munising Area Trail Report – 03/20
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 03/20
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 03/19
- Grand Marais Trail Report – 03/17
- Frederic / Gaylord Area Trail Report – Sledheads of Frederic – 03/16
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 03/14
- Munising Area Trail Report – 03/14
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 03/13
- Grand Marais Trail Report – 03/12
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 03/12
- Munising Area Trail Report – 03/11
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 03/11
- Sault Ste. Marie Trail Report – 03/10
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 03/10
- Western U.P. Trail Report – Western U.P. Bureau – 03/10
- Straits Area Trail Report – 03/09
- Ontonagon Trail Report – 03/09
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 03/09
- Gaylord Area Trail Report – 03/09
- Frederic / Gaylord Area Trail Report – Sledheads of Frederic – 03/09
- Munising Area Trail Report – 03/09
- Ontonagon Trail Report – Scott’s Superior Inn – 03/09