Western U.P. Trail Report – Western U.P. Bureau – 02/13
Temps for the next few days are going to be up and down. Today we will have temps in the high 20’s with lows in the teens. Wednesday our highs will be a high of 41 with lows in the 20’s and Thursday we will have a high of 25 with a low of -2. Grooming is ongoing for all clubs weather permitting. Use caution on corners they may be icy. Make sure you ride on your side of the trail, we want everyone to be safe.
PLEASE STAY ON TRAILS. WE HAVE BEEN GETTING COMPLAINTS THAT SOME HAVE NOT BEEN STAYING ON TRAILS, RIDING ON UNMARKED TRAILS CAN LOSE EASEMENT FOR OUR TRAIL SYSTEM SO PLEASE STAY ON TRAILS!!!!!!
THE GOGEBIC RANGE TRAIL AUTHORITY REPORTS:
We are grooming nearly non-stop hitting most trails at least once a day. We have one groomer down for repairs. Thankfully, the cold temps are helping to keep the snow from moving too much. Overall trail conditions are very good, lots of snow on the trails. Beware of icy corners and icy entrance/exits to corners.
Trail 2 from Hurley to Ramsay US-2 Crossing is good to very good. As you depart Ironwood past Walmart, heading east, the horseshoe-turns around the Transfer Station are getting icy. Please ride to the right and ride cautiously.
The rail-bed trail ENDS on the east side of the Keystone Bridge. The club grooms the bridge to maintain it for local access. The “old” trail to Wakefield is closed east of Verona Road. Tickets will be issued if you ride on this closed trail.
Trail 2 from Ramsay Crossing to Wakefield is fair. Around Indianhead near Wakefield the trail is getting thin, snirty and icy so please use caution. There have been several near-miss accidents due to riders not riding on their side of the trail or blowing through icy corners. We need everyone to ride safely through there at a reasonable speed to keep everyone safe. The hill climbs to Indianhead Big Snow Resorts are snow packed and smooth.
Trail 2 from Wakefield to Marenisco is good to very good. There is active construction 5 miles east of Wakefield use caution. Watch for icy corners from Wakefield to US HWY. 2 trail crossing. The rail bed section is in great condition. Snow depth will diminish slightly as you travel from Wakefield to Marenisco, mainly from 11S intersection east.
Trail 8 from Bingo’s to Tula Crossing is good to very good. The trail has lots of snow on it and is a wide seasonal county road that is not plowed and makes for a fun trail ride.
Trail 160 from Walmart to Montreal River(WI) is good to very good. This is a very scenic trail with spectacular views. ENJOY!! There is logging near the Lake Road area, please slow down, remember logging trucks have the right of way.
Trail 11S is good to very good. The first 2 miles of the trail as it heads south towards Wisconsin from Trail 2 is plowed due to logging. Please yield to all commercial truck traffic. The trail is in great shape and is groomed from the Vilas County Wisconsin Line to Trail 2 completely, regularly. There are still a few thin areas and areas that need more brushing but the trail is fantastic.
LAKE GOGEBIC AREA GROOMER REPORT
All trails are reported to be in good to the very good condition. Groomers are out daily.
Trail 1 N to White Pine is in good condition.
Trail 8 East is good.
Trail 102 was groomed on the 12th in the p.m.
Trail 13 S from root cellar to Trail 2 is very good.
Trail 100 at the south end of the Lake has been groomed from Trail 13 to the Slate River.
U.P. THUNDER RIDERS OF WATERSMEET GROOMERS REPORT:
Trails are good. We do have some thin areas and icy corners so use caution. The groomers are running daily. Lots of thumbs up from riders so the trails must be riding well!
Trail 2 east of Watersmeet – to the 107 – good but thin in areas
Trail 3 south of Watersmeet to WI – good -this trail gets tons of traffic and it gets rough between groomings use caution over the bridges
Trail 3 north of trail 2 to bond falls – good with icy corners
Trail 3 north of Bond falls – good with icy corners
Trail 2 west of Watersmeet- good
Trail 13 south of trail 2 – good with icy corners
PLEASE STAY ON MARKED TRAILS. RIDING ON UNMARKED TRAILS CAN RESULT IN THE CLUB LOSING EASEMENT OF THAT TRAIL AND YOU POSSIBLE GETTING A TICKET…
Latest Trail Reports – Quick Links
- Frederic / Gaylord Area Trail Report – Sledheads of Frederic – 11/15
- Paradise Area Trail Report – Paradise Area Night Riders – 10/17
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 04/23
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 04/20
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 04/19
- Frederic / Gaylord Area Trail Report – Sledheads of Frederic – 04/18
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 04/16
- Indian River Trail Report – 04/16
- Seney Trail Report – 04/16
- Grand Marais Trail Report – 04/16
- Munising Area Trail Report – 04/16
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 04/15
- Frederic / Gaylord Area Trail Report – Sledheads of Frederic – 04/15
- Frederic / Gaylord Area Trail Report – Sledheads of Frederic – 04/13
- Munising Area Trail Report – 04/12
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 04/12
- Seney Trail Report – 04/12
- Munising Area Trail Report – 04/12
- Grand Marais Trail Report – 04/12
- Sault Ste. Marie Trail Report – 04/11
- Lake Gogebic Trail Report – 04/11
- Frederic / Gaylord Area Trail Report – Sledheads of Frederic – 04/09
- Frederic / Gaylord Area Trail Report – Sledheads of Frederic – 04/07
- Seney Trail Report – 04/06
- Grand Marais Trail Report – 04/06
- Munising Area Trail Report – 04/06
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 04/06
- Frederic / Gaylord Area Trail Report – Sledheads of Frederic – 04/06