Western U.P. Trail Report – Western U.P. Bureau – 01/19
They are calling for temps nearing 40 Friday and Saturday. Trail condition will get bumpy and corners will be icy so use caution when riding. Grooming will be determined by the temps if it is to warm the groomers will not be able to go out.
PLEASE STAY ON TRAILS. WE HAVE BEEN GETTING COMPLAINTS THAT SOME HAVE NOT BEEN STAYING ON TRAILS, RIDING ON UNMARKED TRAILS CAN LOSE EASEMENT FOR OUR TRAIL SYSTEM SO PLEASE STAY ON TRAILS!!!!!!
THE GOGEBIC RANGE TRAIL AUTHORITY REPORTS:
Trail 2 from Hurley to Ramsay US-2 Crossing:
Grooming was scheduled for last night. The trail is in good to the very good condition. Thin spots on trail exist, by the transfer station east of Walmart the trail is getting icy corners. Slow down and use caution. The rail-bed trail ENDS on the east side of the Keystone Bridge. The club grooms the bridge to maintain it for local access. The “old” trail to Wakefield is closed east of Verona Rd. and anyone caught riding it will be ticketed.
Trial 2 from Ramsay Crossing to Wakefield:
This was last groomed on the night of the 17th. Overall rating is good to fair. The trail is thin in the lower elevations and corners are icy. Please stay on your side of the trail, many near-miss accidents due to sleds on the wrong side of the trail. Please ride safely.
Trail 2 from Wakefield to Marenisco:
This was to be groomed last night. Overall rating is good to very good. Watch for icy corners from Wakefield to US HWY 2 trail crossing. Snow is thinner as you travel from Wakefield to Marenisco.
Trail 8 from Bingos to Tula Crossing:
This was last groomed on the 17th early a.m. Overall rating is good to very good. It is a wide seasonal county road that is not plowed and makes a fun trail to ride. Trail 8 where the GRTA groomer turns around is finally groomed by the Gogebic Area Groomers.
Trail 160 from Walmart to Montreal River(WI):
This was groomed on the 18th. Overall rating is good to very good. You will also encounter some active logging near the Lake Road area, please go slow, logging trucks have the right of way. Please remember to stay on the trail!!!! Do not go off the trails and ride on farmers fields, this can lose easement for our trails. This trail is very scenic so enjoy!!
This was last groomed on the 17th. Overall rating is fair to very good. There are still some thin spots on this trail and still needs some brushing. Keep speeds slow as you travel the southern half of it, once you cross the bridge within 2 miles there are some rough spots.
LAKE GOGEBIC AREA GROOMER REPORT:
01/15/2018 is the latest report I have gotten.
Overall, trail conditions are in good condition.
We have more snow on the north side of the lake, the south side of the lake snow is thinner.
Trail 13 south of the Root Cellar about 1 mile in the middle of the trail between 2 and the Root Cellar, the trail is showing bare spots along with some rocks. For the most part, this trail is fair to good. This trail was groomed on the 16th.
Trail 1 from Marenisco is bare to fair. There are a lot of bare spots with rocks. We need more snow so use caution.
Marenisco to Gogebic Lodge & Fishtales is in fair condition this trail also needs more snow.
Trail 1 & 8 W. the trail is groomed every night. Early riding on this trail is best, by late afternoon it gets rough.
Trail 8 E again is the best riding in the morning, by late afternoon it gets rough.
There’s a stretch of 3 miles before Ewen that has bare spots and is rocky. Use caution.
13 N is groomed nightly again is best to ride in the morning.
102 was groomed on the night of the 15th.
U.P. THUNDER RIDERS OF WATERSMEET GROOMERS REPORT:
Groomers are running on a regular schedule. We still need more snow but the groomers are doing a great job.
Trail 2 east of Watersmeet to 107–is good but thin in areas.
Trail 3 north–fair/good with thin spots
Trail 3 Bond Falls to Trail 8-is good.
Trail 2 west-is good with thin spots.
Trail 13 south of trail 2-is good.
Trail 13 south – fair to good
PLEASE STAY ON MARKED TRAILS. RIDING ON UNMARKED TRAILS CAN RESULT IN THE CLUB LOSING EASEMENT OF THAT TRAIL AND YOU POSSIBLE GETTING A TICKET…..
Latest Trail Reports – Quick Links
- Petoskey Area Trail Report – 04/12
- Sault Ste. Marie Trail Report – 04/11
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 03/28
- Sault Ste. Marie Trail Report – 03/27
- Ontonagon Trail Report – 03/21
- Newberry Trail Report – 03/20
- Munising Area Trail Report – 03/20
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 03/20
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 03/19
- Grand Marais Trail Report – 03/17
- Frederic / Gaylord Area Trail Report – Sledheads of Frederic – 03/16
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 03/14
- Munising Area Trail Report – 03/14
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 03/13
- Grand Marais Trail Report – 03/12
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 03/12
- Munising Area Trail Report – 03/11
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 03/11
- Sault Ste. Marie Trail Report – 03/10
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 03/10
- Western U.P. Trail Report – Western U.P. Bureau – 03/10
- Straits Area Trail Report – 03/09
- Ontonagon Trail Report – 03/09
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 03/09
- Gaylord Area Trail Report – 03/09
- Frederic / Gaylord Area Trail Report – Sledheads of Frederic – 03/09
- Munising Area Trail Report – 03/09
- Ontonagon Trail Report – Scott’s Superior Inn – 03/09