Lake Gogebic Trail Report – 02/15
February 15th, 2017
Reports coming in are saying the trails are looking pretty good at this point. Trail 1 south is a little rough coming up from the Wisconsin border as far as Gogebic Lodge where everyone usually gets on the Lake to head north. The same goes for 13 south from trail 2 to Root Cellar. Trails 102, 1 north, 13 north and 8 east are looking very good. Trail 8 west is looking good from what I could see, but remember to stay off of any creeks or rivers along this route as we head into warmer temps again this upcoming weekend. With the exception of Friday, Sunday & Monday the predicted temps look cold enough to groom at night. Tonight & Thursday temps look good for daytime as well as nighttime grooming. Weekend temps are predicted as high as a possible 50 degrees! Unbelievable! Hopefully we’ll be able to get the trails good enough over the next couple of days to last thru this next warm up. That said; expect wet holes to reopen, again, over much of our trail system this weekend. It’s a ways off still, but the forecast is calling for snow every day from February 25th into the beginning of March – so don’t give up on this season yet. Sometimes the best time of the year to ride is in March.
If you still plan on coming up contact a Forest Service office in the area for maps to all (UNPLOWED only) Forest Service roads that you can ride. There is an office in Watersmeet, between Ironwood & Bessemer and also in Ontonagon. And hey, why not bring a fishing pole along and try a day of ice fishing on this upcoming free fishing weekend? You’ll be able to relax and work on your tan – in the middle of February!
As previously posted, please stay on the trails in Bergland. You are not allowed to ride the highway through town and may be ticketed. You can only access the gas station by following the trail through the park and crossing directly across from the gas station from Antonio’s Restaurant. If riding the roads through Merriweather (down to the Hoop ‘N Holler Tavern or to the lake) please remember to ride at the posted speed limit of 25 mph and stay to the side of the roadway, and, as always be aware that this is a residential area and watch for traffic.
. *If you’d like additional information about our area please contact The Lake Gogebic Area Chamber of Commerce at 888.GOGEBIC or www.lakegogebicarea.com. You can also email us at email@example.com. Hope we see you soon – for those of you already up here have a safe ride!
*Gogebic Area Grooming really needs your support at this time more than ever. You can be a part of our grooming efforts with a sponsorship of $25 for single, $30 for family and $75 for businesses. However we’d greatly appreciate a donation of any amount. These can be sent to:“Gogebic Area Grooming” at “115 Hoop ‘N Holler Rd / Merriweather, MI 49947” or you can find sponsorship pads at most businesses around the lake with our map boxes, where you can also deposit donations. All map money is intended to benefit the grooming efforts in our area. If you mail your sponsorship or donation to the above address be sure to include contact info, as well.
Lake Gogebic On Facebook
Below are the latest postings from Lake Gogebic On Facebook.
Latest Trail Reports – Quick Links
- Watersmeet Trail Report – 11/09 – 6.5 inches so far and still having snow squalls
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 11/09 – 10” or so last night and it’s been coming down all day
- Porcupine Mountains – 11/09 – We have received between 4 and 8 inches of snow last night; more is predicted through today
- Ironwood Trail Report – Gogebic Range Trail Authority – 10/30
- Ironwood Trail Report – Gogebic Range Trail Authority – 10/29
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 03/27
- Grand Marais Trail Report – Grand Marais Sno-Trails Assoc. – 03/27
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 03/25
- Seney Trail Report – Seney – 03/25
- Seney Trail Report – 03/23
- Grand Marais Trail Report – Grand Marais Sno-Trails Assoc. – 03/23
- Sault Ste. Marie Trail Report – 03/23
- Grand Marais Trail Report – Grand Marais Sno-Trails Assoc. – 03/22
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 03/22
- Keweenaw Peninsula Trail Report – 03/21
- Grand Marais Trail Report – Grand Marais Sno-Trails Assoc. – 03/21
- Seney Trail Report – 03/20
- Frederic / Gaylord Area Trail Report – Sledheads of Frederic – 03/20